Skip Navigation LinksSaint Francis Home > About Us > History

A Proud History

Since 1913, Saint Francis Hospital has provided compassionate, faith-based healthcare in the Kanwha Valley. Conveniently located in downtown Charleston, we offer a strong reputation for compassionate, high quality healthcare - providing the human touch in healthcare.

1913: Old Laidley Home at 333 Laidley Street purchased by Bishop Patrick J. Donahue, bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Wheeling and converted to 25 bed hospital.  It was initially run by the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration from Williamsville, New York.
1917: A new hospital was opened with a bed capacity of 42, a modern chapel and a chaplain’s apartment.
1921: The Sisters of St. Francis were recalled to Williamsville and the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Wheeling sent five sisters to administer the hospital.
1924: Second unit added to the red brick building that was constructed in 1917.
1939: Third unit added to the 1924 addition which consisted of a nurses’ quarters with the capacity of 75, a large recreation room, a classroom that could seat 90 students, a demonstration room, clinical and dietary labs.
1951: During an era of racial tension in the early 1950s, 23 white nurses walked off their jobs when the Sisters of Saint Joseph refused to dismiss three black nurses.
1967: 116-bed extended care unit opened.
1971: New east wing constructed beside original red brick hospital building built in 1917.
1974: Obstetric Department closed.
1980: New West Wing constructed, Medical Office Building and Parking garage added.
1985: One Day Surgery Center/Medical Office Building constructed.
1995: Hospital sold to HCA, a for-profit healthcare system headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.
2003: Hospital celebrated 90 years of service to Charleston community.
2006: Hospital sold to LifePoint Hospitals of Brentwood, Tennessee.
2007: Hospital purchased by Thomas Memorial Hospital and became part of the newly organized Thomas Health System, Inc. and returned to not-for-profit status.

333 Laidley Street, P. O. Box 471, Charleston, WV 25322, (304)347-6500

contact us